I’m going to admit making some mistakes lately while doing
git merges during pull requests. I determined one of my biggest problems was the way diffs are presented in BitBucket. It can make things look very unclear because huge chunks of code will look deleted only to be added back in at later points in bits and pieces. It is hard to realize the nuanced changes usually made in code and can cause headaches down the road. To combat this problem I wrote a quick
git alias called
diffmaster that will run a diff of the current branch against the master branch. The command I aliased is
git difftool master…<branch-to-compare>. I added the following lines to my
[alias] section of my
branch-name = "!git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD" diffmaster = "!git difftool master... $(git branch-name)"